Peridot is a gem-quality Olivine. Its name derives from the Latin word olive because of its oil-green color. Peridot is a transparent green variety which is used as a semiprecious stone.
Peridot is one of the few gemstones that occur in only one color: an olive-green. The intensity and tint of the green, however, depends on the percentage of iron in the crystal structure.
Historically the most important Olivine deposits were located in Egypt, on the Red Sea island of Zabirget, which was mined 3500 years ago. It was later used in ecclesiastical jewelry and objects. Olivine deposits are also found in Burma and Brazil.
Peridot is the birthstone for the month of August.
Properties of Peridot
- The peridot fits the intellectuals
- Is semiprecious stone of lightness and beauty
- It protects against negative emotions and promotes peace and happiness
- It may be useful to find things you have lost
- Increases patience and persistence
- Protects from evil spirits
- It helps heal wounded feelings and increases confidence
- It protects from nightmares and helps to make our dreams reality
- It helps to problems in speech and enhances the power of speech